Free Social Media Basics Class hosted by Kit O’Connell!
Social media alone can’t create social justice, but it’s created a powerful tool for activists and community organizers to reach people and amplify their issues. Additionally, social networks allow anyone to become a journalist, instantly sharing important breaking news or events with the world.
In this class, we’ll cover the basics of using social media for movement building with tips on the best way to mobilize people to your events.
Topics covered include:
- How to make the best use of major social networks like Facebook, Instagram & Twitter
- Brief coverage of the possibilities of other networks like YouTube, Tumblr, Cel.ly, etc.
- Misconceptions about social media & activism
- Do’s and Don’ts for mobilizing direct action, protests and events.
- Social media security concerns for online activists.
- Livestreaming & reporting breaking news: Where to do it, how to do it.
We strive to make all Oh Shit! What Now? events a space free of oppression, so please leave your bullshit at home. For more information on our group, our safer spaces policy and our rules, please see our FAQ.
- What? A class on using social media as an activist and citizen journalist.
- When? Saturday, February 25 from 7-9pm.
- Where? Grassroots Leadership, 2301 E Cesar Chavez St, Austin, TX 78702 (Map), come to low the building in the back behind the house
- Why? With the right use of social media, your message can reach millions of people.
- Grassroots Leadership is wheelchair accessible and a short walk from several bus lines.