The Oh Shit! What Now? Collective and the Crustacean Zine Library would like to invite you to the first in a series of discussions about anti-oppressive parenting and education tactics.
For this first event, we will be focusing on unschooling and other non-coercive forms of education. We hope to set direction and topics for future events based on the desires of the group that gathers, so please do come out and speak up about what you wish to discuss!
We are proud to be facilitating this discussion at the newly opened Austin Yawp. Yawp! is a place for Austin’s unschooling, homeschooling, gentle parenting, and other philosophically aligned families to support each other.
If you would like to do some reading in advance of the discussion we encourage you to read any the following books: Teach Your Own by John Holt, Teaching to Transgress by bell hooks, Free to Learn by Peter Gray, or Weapons of Mass Instruction by John Taylor Gatto. Also, here is a short essay by Emma Goldman called The Social Importance of the Modern School.
The Crustacean Zine Library is a reading room and gathering place for zine enthusiasts.
We strive to make all Oh Shit! What Now? events a space free of oppression, so please leave your bullshit at home. For more information on our group, our safer spaces policy and our rules, please see our FAQ.
- What? A monthly discussion group for parents, educators and anyone interested in raising children in an anti-oppressive style.
- When? April 21 from 6:30-8:30 pm
- Where? Austin Yawp, 4548 Page St, Austin, Texas 78723
- Why? To network and learn with others looking for a better way to raise kids.
- Yawp! is wheelchair accessible, and a 10-15 minute walk from multiple bus lines, near the Mueller Development.