Social media alone can’t create social justice, but it’s a powerful tool for activists and community organizers to reach people and amplify their demands. Additionally, smartphones & social technology allow anyone to become a journalist, instantly sharing important breaking news or events with the world.
In this class, we’ll cover the basics of using social media for movement building with tips on the best way to mobilize people to your events and how to report what happens there.
Topics covered include:
- How to make the best use of major social networks like Facebook, Instagram & Twitter
- Brief coverage of the possibilities of other networks like YouTube, Tumblr, Cel.ly, etc.
- Misconceptions about social media & activism
- Do’s and Don’ts for mobilizing direct action, protests and events.
- Social media security concerns for online activists.
- Livestreaming & reporting breaking news: Where to do it, how to do it.
We strive to make all OS!WN? events a space free of oppression, so please leave that crap at home. For more information on our group, our safer spaces policy and our rules, please see our FAQ.
- What? An introduction to the use of social media and livestreaming geared toward activists & organizers.
- When? August 14 from 7:30pm to 9:00pm
- Where? Treasure City Thrift, 2142 E. 7th St. Austin TX 78702
- Why? To help you effectively reach people more effectively on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- Treasure City Thrift is wheelchair accessible and close to several major bus lines. Free parking is available on site.