On Saturday, August 19th, the Peaceful Streets Project and the Oh Shit! What Now? Collective will offer a copwatch training followed by a hands on cop watch session for the community at Monkeywrench Books.
As violent fascism spills into our streets, it compounds the already existing threat that is everpresent in marginalized and oppressed communities: the police. As fascism grows and with the overt and enthusiastic support of the state, the police are all the more eager and emboldened to engage in violence against the people. As people look to take a stand against fascism, we encourage them to continue to keep an eye on the fascists’ best friends, police.
At this copwatch training, you will learn what the purpose of copwatch is, the legal and safety considerations you need to be aware of, copwatch tactics, and advice on how to set up your own copwatch initiative or how to join one that already exists.
We strive to make all OSWN? Collective events a space free of oppression, so please leave your hateful garbage at home. For more information on our group, our safer spaces policy and our rules, please see our FAQ.
Thank you to MonkeyWrench Books for offering to open this space up for this copwatch training.
- What? Learn to film the police using your smartphone and the skills we’ll share in this class.
- When? August 19 from 7:00 to 9:00pm, followed by hands-on cop watch action
- Where? Monkeywrench Books, 110 N Loop Blvd E, Austin, TX 78751.
- Why? Because police are a racist institution which supports fascism and the oppression of marginalized people.
- Monkeywrench Books is wheelchair accessible, and close to several bus lines.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com