The Oh Shit! What Now Collective’s Raising Resisters Anti-Oppressive Parenting Discussion Group is meeting on Thursday, May 18th from 6:30-8:30 PM at Austin YAWP! (4548 Page St, Austin, Texas 78723.)
We will be discussing the history of industrial education and the alternatives to it. The class will be interactive, with time set aside to do the readings in small breakout groups before coming back together and processing with the entire class. If any of the topics in the agenda are of interest to you, feel free to bring your own resources to share and discuss.
We’re looking forward to seeing you! <3 <3
You can RSVP here: https://www.facebook.com/events/667652900092984/
Or just show up!
History of Industrial Education series
Part 1: Industrialized Education: Indoctrination or Liberation?
Introductions / 30 minutes total / 6:30-7:00 PM
One minute per person
Why are you here?
***Foundations of Industrial Education / 7:00 PM-7:45 PM
- “Toward the Destruction of Schooling” by Jan D. Matthews
- “The Invented History of ‘The Factory Model of Education'” by Audrey Watters
- “On the Wildness of Children: The Revolution Will Not Take Place in a Classroom” by Carol Black
- The End of Average by Todd Rose, Factories of Education … EOP (p.49-54)
3 groups – reading materials for each group
30 minutes to read and discuss in small groups
15 minutes debrief to larger group
***Resistance! / 7:45-8:15
- The Normalization of Homeschooling in the USA by Mitchell L. Stevens
- An Introduction to Educational Alternatives by Robin Ann Martin
2 groups – reading materials for each group
20 minutes to read and discuss
10 minutes to debrief
Closing / 8:15-8:30
Gather notes for next time
Next topic: Student Resistance
Brief discussion about staying in touch
Parking lot items
All original Oh Shit! What Now? materials are copyright free, except where otherwise noted, and can be freely reprinted, shared, and reused. If you’ve got feedback, email us.